Talking Cost with Patients – An Organizational Effort
In its journey to put patients first, Lowell General discovered a gap in its efforts to standardize patient financial communications. Lack of consistency, training and buy-in among staff led to issues with both patient experience and upfront collections. Leaders created a plan to hardwire patient financial conversations, helping staff understand what to say to patients and why. This session shared how Lowell General built a culture where all areas of the organization understand that patient financial matters are part of the overall health of the patient. Learn about strategies and tools that will help your organization talk about cost with patients.
- List common gaps in standardizing patient financial communication.
- Discuss the importance of patient financial matters to the organization as a whole.
- Review a plan to hardwire patient financial conversations – the what, when, how and why.
- Evaluate technology that supports the process.
- Sandra Clay-Hillyard, CHAM, Director of Patient Access, Lowell General Hospital